A favorite pudding from childhood! Jam Roly-poly is a warm winter treat, best served with hot custard.
8oz self-raising flour
4oz shredded vegetable suet
2oz caster sugar
Knob of butter
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg, mixed with 1 tablespoon of milk
6oz raspberry jam
4 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon icing sugar
- Heat the oven 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6. Grease a flat baking sheet with the knob of butter.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the suet, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Stir.
- Add most of the egg mix and stir (saving two teaspoons for brushing later).
- Gradually mix in the milk to form a soft dough. Kneed lightly. Leave to rest in the bowl for 5 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into a thin rectangle on a floured surface. Spread with jam, leaving a 1″ border on all sides. Wet the edges lightly with the egg mix.
- Roll up into a cartwheel shape from one long end to the other. Place the seam on the underside, flat on the baking sheet.
- Brush on the remainder of the egg mix.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Dust with icing sugar.
- Serve piping hot.