Need a refreshing dessert for hot summer days? Try a chilled fruit fool as a quick, easy treat!
1lb raspberries, gooseberries, or rhubarb
4oz fresh elderflowers
1/3 pint of milk or single cream
1 tablespoon of vanilla
1. Prepare the fruit for stewing (wash, peel, top-and-tail as needed) and place in a medium-sized pan on stove.
2. Add the sugar, elderflowers, and sufficient water to cover the fruit. Bring to the boil and stew until all the fruit is soft. For a smooth texture, strain the fruit through a sieve. For a crunchier taste, stir the mixture with a fork to soften the remaining pulp.
3. Cool in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
4. Over low heat melt the butter.
5. Add all the remaining ingredients and whisk continually for 8 – 10 minutes until the mixture thickens.
6. Cool in the refrigerator for at least thirty minutes.
7. Fold the cold fruit mixture carefully into the cold custard to create a marbled effect.
8. Spoon into individual serving dishes and top with fresh fruit, mint leaves, or whipped cream.