Spotted Dick is an amusing name for a delicious suet-based fruit pudding that is best serve with custard!
40z fresh white breadcrumbs
3oz shredded vegetable suet
3oz plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4oz dried currants, raisins, or sultanas
1 lemon – grated rind and juice
1 orange – grated rind and juice
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Grease a heat-proof pudding bowl.
2. Place the breadcrumbs, suet, flour, salt, sugar, and dried fruit in a large bowl.
3. Add the lemon rind and juice, orange rind and juice, vanilla, and milk.
4. Stir well with a wooden spoon until thoroughly mixed.
5. Place in the pudding bowl. Cover with pleated greaseproof paper and tie off with string.
6. Steam in a metal culinder or sieve over a large pan of boiling water for 1 – 2 hours, checking the water regularly, and topping up the pan so it does not boil dry.
7. Serve hot.